Friday, February 8, 2013

Blizzard 2013

I find myself in the amazing position of no commitments for the weekend. School was closed today, the boys are with their Dad for the weekend, and here I sit in my pajamas. During the day I alternately read, caught up on laundry, balanced the check book, allocated savings and retirement money, paid bills, and relaxed. I dozed. I tried to watch television, then quickly realized I didn't need the continuous storm coverage. It's going to snow, then snow some more. There will be wind. I don't need someone else to tell me what I can see with my own eyes out the window.

So often I fill my time with the useless outlet of television. I'm trying to be cognizant of this, and work to correct it. I don't need to get bombarded with advertising for superfluous items to magically make my life better. Instead of advertisements advocating for satisfaction with what one has, they advocate dissatisfaction, a dearth, selling us on a "lacking" mentality.

With the new year, I am trying to take a "plenty" attitude. I have enough. What I want is not something that can be purchased, or remedied with a luxury item.

What I want is what I have: two boys, a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, warmth in our hearts. And another day to just breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment