Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Garden Update

We have the garden in, and sadly a lot of my seedlings did not take kindly to the location change. There are a few peppers left (of the twenty I planted), there are a handful of cucumbers. The squash were the first casualties, but the rosemary and tomato plants are flourishing. After a brief struggle with the cilantro turning brown and wilting, new shoots have grown and I used some in my omelet yesterday morning. After last year's demise outside, I kept the cilantro inside.

My oldest planted pumpkins and watermelons, and my youngest kept it easy with the cactii (see previous post for correct term, haha). I was gifted a straggly tomato plant, which I am hoping to baby along. My dad gave me some more cucumber seeds, which I noticed were starting to peep their heads up yesterday. So, the garden will hopefully do well after the initial set back; only time will tell.

Speaking of time, our school year is a lot longer this year (due to the blizzard, nemo storm, and another tropical storm). Today would have been the last day of school; instead it is next Wednesday. The boys are more than ready for summer, as am I. I am very fortunate, since I work part time in a school cafeteria, that I am able to enjoy vacations with my kiddos.

There are parts of me sometimes that thinks I should have a better paying job, or a career, but then that would sacrifice my time with the boys. Sure I could make more money, but what is more important now, my time with them or money? Time is something I can never get back. And I'd much prefer to spend it with them rather than working. Going to the beach, working in our yard, or just having a pajama day are priceless ~ and really, I enjoy being with my boys more than (MUCH more than) working.


No comments:

Post a Comment